Do you plan on selling your home? Then you should follow these preparation steps before you start on with the process:
1. Clean, clean, clean
Dust on top of the fireplace mantle and fan blades, polish your appliances and faucets, and give the windows a thorough washing. If you’ve already moved out or if you’re too busy to stay on top of things, consider hiring a cleaning service to stop by every couple of weeks. Source
2. Exterior appeal
Stand outside your home and compare it to your neighbours’ properties. If you do this and it makes you feel slightly mortified, it’s likely that you’ve already failed to impress your potential buyers.
- When was the last time I mowed the lawn?
- Have I ever cleaned those gutters out?
- Could those window frames use some fresh paint?
- Were those paving slabs always that uneven?
- Don’t those children’s toys have somewhere to be?
- Can people see my house number behind that embarrassingly overgrown shrub?
- Does a surplus of weeds say that I embrace all forms of nature, or that I’m a lazy homeowner who probably hasn’t maintained the rest of the property very well either?
3. Finish projects & repairs
Now is the time to complete any home improvement projects you have under way and make any and all necessary repairs to your home.
You’ll most likely find a buyer more quickly and the sale process will be much smoother if everything that needs to be done is taken care of before you lost your property.
If you have additional home improvement projects planned, make sure they can be finished in a short amount of time. Source
4. Eliminate bad odors
Hide the litter box and spray air neutralizer throughout your home. When showing the home, fill it with inviting smells by putting out fresh flowers and baking a batch of cookies. Source
So make sure that you follow the tips above to ensure that you will be drawing in potential buyers for the home that you will be selling.
Gary Wong Realty
2105 West 38th Ave.
Vancouver, BC V6M 1R8